- Cheddar Gorge
- Cheddar, Somerset, BS27 3QF
- 01934 742343
- 01934 744637
Visit Britain’s biggest gorge, take in the dramatic cliffs rising up 450ft and explore the stunning stalactite caverns below.
Created by Ice age melt-waters over millions of years, this world famous beauty spot is not only a National Nature Reserve but also a premier site of British prehistory. Once an ancient river bed, its limestone cliffs and beautiful caves are now home to rare bats, dormice, water voles and Peregrine falcons.
There are seven great attractions to explore, including the spectacular Gough’s Cave which was discovered by Richard Gough in 1890 and was once home to our Stone Age ancestors some 40,000 years ago.
In 1903 the skeletal remains of ‘Cheddar Man’ was unearthed and today the story of how our ancestors survived is brought to life in the Museum of Prehistory.
Journey through the gorge to experience Cox’s Cave and the Crystal Quest, the 274 steps to the Lookout Tower and the magnificent views from the Cliff-top Gorge Walk.
If you’re looking for something X-treme – why not check out Cheddar Gorge’s caving and rock climbing activity centre?
Stop off for a light lunch or coffee and a cake at Cheddar Gorge’s new Costa Coffee.
Whether you are interested in nature, history or geology you’ll have a great day out in a beautiful setting!
- Coffee Shop
- Gift Shop
- Picnic Area
Why not try a go at X-treme Adventure Caving and Rock Climbing plus Cheddar Gorge? Bus must be pre-booked & restrictions apply. Visit www.cheddargorge.co.uk for details.
Please visit www.cheddargorge.co.uk for price information.
Cheddar Gorge is situated on the B3135 east of Cheddar village. Exit J22 (M5) and follow brown tourist signs on A38.
Cheddar is open every day except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Open Easter, July & August 10am - 5.30pm. Rest of the year 10.30am - 5pm.
My Short Lists
Register with Freedom Days to:
- Create multiple shortlists
- Save your shortlists
- Email your shortlists to a friend
- Nearby Accommodation
- Chedwell Cottage (0 miles)
- Gordons (0 miles)
- Arundel House (1 miles)
- Cheddar Bridge Touring Park (1 miles)
- Neuholme (1 miles)
- Wassells House (1 miles)
- Constantine (1 miles)
- Broadway House Holiday Park (1 miles)
- Tor Farm Guest House (2 miles)
- Oakland House (2 miles)
- The Old Manor House (3 miles)
- Bucklegrove Caravan & Camping Park (3 miles)
- Premier Inn Bristol Airport (Sidcot) (3 miles)
- Mendip Heights Camping and Caravanning Club Site (4 miles)
- The Langford Inn & Restaurant (4 miles)
- Nearby Food & Drink
- Shahnaz (0 miles)
- The Pony & Trap (5 miles)
- Sedgemoor Services Southbound (7 miles)
- Sedgemoor Services Northbound (7 miles)
- Goodfellows Sadler Street Cafe (7 miles)
- Rugantino Restaurant (7 miles)
- The Old Spot (7 miles)
- The Fountain Inn & Boxers Restaurant (7 miles)
- Ask Italian - Wells (7 miles)
- Cafe Galatea (9 miles)
- Rainbows End Cafe (9 miles)
- Blue Cedar Cafe (9 miles)
- Assembly Rooms Cafe (9 miles)
- Elaichi (9 miles)
- The Sorrel Restaurant (10 miles)